Translate

Monday 23 November 2015

Response to: Would you Pay?

Yahello! Welcome to Natsirt's Blog and please, feel free to respond if you'd like.

First of all, before I answer this question, I would like to mention that the question asks, "is this something that you would  purchase just to eliminate those ads?" This refers to subscribing to Youtube Red for $9.99 a month. The question asks if you would pay this subscription to remove adds even though according to this article,  which was linked in the question, Youtube Red gives access to offline use, exclusive videos, exclusive Youtube apps, easier ways to listen to music and a more personal Youtube experience in general. The point I'm trying to make is that Youtube Red is more than just an add blocker and should be seen as such.
Regardless, I would still not pay for this subscription for multiple reasons. Firstly, there is the ad-blocker which I personally don't care for. In general I don't care for ads but especially in Youtube, because it does a good job of presenting different ads and most have a skip button or are mini pop-ups which can be removed. For that reason I don't care about ads. It also may be a bias because in another website I go to, every video has around 10 video ads and most can't be skipped, which is a lot worse than this.

                                                  You Can Skip Ads!!!!Most of the time.....


My next reason to why I wouldn't pay for this subscription is because the idea of exclusive Youtube apps such as Google Play Music for specific types of videos, doesn't interest me. In my mind, I see no point to make apps to find videos easier when you would most likely know what you would want to watch. If you have read the previous post, discussing about whether TV (cable) would last in this modern society of "on-demand" services, I've mentioned that with on demand services like Youtube, you would most likely search for what you would want to search. What I'm trying to say is that you can just use the search bar at the top of every Youtube page to get a list of videos based on that search. That single search is the same as using an entire app for that same specific purpose.

                                         You Can Use The Search Bar!!!!


In the case of subscribing for exclusive video content, I dislike the fact that something should be payed for when, from my experience, Youtube feels like an unimaginably large community made up of many smaller communities. I don't feel that a Youtube channel should put up a pay wall for certain videos, which just divides up their own community. The only way this would work is either by using it for very VERY high quality videos like movies, and special one-off promotion or event videos that wouldn't effect those who couldn't watch it, or use it like an early access to videos. Even then, there are problems such as how people's upload schedules can vary greatly. Some upload multiple times daily, while others upload every few months. In this is also hard to do for Youtubers as almost all of them want to share their content to everyone and applying a paywall is not the way. With that reasoning, there may not even be that many videos behind Youtube Red subscription and it would not be worth it.

                    Each one of these Youtube Channels are their own community and putting a pay wall on videos will just divide the communities.


Although Youtube Red is definitely an interesting concept which may be useful and allows for a more organized, personal Youtube experience, it just doesn't appeal enough to me. The only thing that truly interests me would be the offline use with video downloading, but in my mind, it doesn't feel right when a current problem of modern society is our over reliance on technology, and our addiction to information and entertainment.

No comments:

Post a Comment